Sunday, July 25, 2010

Banca's, banca's and more banca's...



  What's a Banca?  It's a boat.  Not just an ordinary boat.  Not just a boat limited to one form, either.  Banca's are a way of inter-island travel in the Philippines.  They are typically associated with a long hull, bamboo supports beams perpendicular to the hull, as well as bamboo out-rigging.

    Most of my weekend Philippine adventures have found me on a banca at one point or another.  They are one of the most affordable means of travel outside your local island here.  Skimming across the ocean never felt so free.  Well, I haven't skimmed across the ocean any other way, so free I feel.

  My first ride on a banca was nerve racking.  Looking out from the port to an undetermined expanse of aquamarine blue, and seeing that I'm about to ride a boat held steady with bamboo, across it, is quite intimidating.  This is not to mention the dark clouds in the sky that day, the waves crashing hard on the cement pillars at the port-of-call or the endless reports of tragic losses at sea from capsizing.  Never in my life did I think I would put so much faith in bamboo.

  After my first ride though, I was completely at ease.  It's amazing to look over the side and have the Pacific deep at fingertip length, the wind in your face and the air of the open sea fill your lungs.  It's a Titanic moment every time, if only they'de let me out onto the bow.  Still working on that persuasion.

  Some research has shown that 'banca,' as it is known here in the Philippines is specific in name to the nation.  Most other parts of the world, specifically Indonesia, know them as 'Jukung.'  Some banca's have inboard motors, other's outboard.  The affordable mass-island-transit one's have inboard's and a carrying capacity of 150, on average.  Some, for small groups, to small private islands to go camping on and run out of water because someone left the spout open on the jug, overnight, and be parched the next day until the banca comes back late in the afternoon after we're all sunparched,  are no larger than your family inland lake canoe... but still ocean worthy.

White Beach, Mindoro

Real Beach, Luzon
Small Banca, Real Beach
Small Banca, I rode this back from the deserted island, and one-third of the way to it....
Low tide in Calapan, swam two-thirds of the way to middle island....
Flagging down our captain, decided to swim for the island, before he got there....
Dusk, taxiing into Mindoro.
Mindoro, first time.  Gorgeous!
Back of banca, with i/o exhaust.  Mmmmm.
Chillin' on the way home.
Justin's b-day trip to Mindoro, with J, Ena, Steph and Matt.
I wanna be that guy when I grow up.
Yeah, name your life vest after a horrible nautical disaster.  Great.
Sea-foam blue?
Pacific blue, bamboo holding steady.  

1 comment: